I really like this palm, but unfortunately it’s too big for my 18×24 botanical press. These palms can measure up to 22×30. Time to improvise…My husband cut two pieces of plywood sized 28×36. I had a couple of old thick wool blankets from my grandpa that he got during WWII which I cut to size to use in my new press. Time to start pressing…
From experience with this particular foliage, I know that just putting it in the press doesn’t work… as the fronds dry they fold up in the middle and there’s no stopping it no matter how much pressure you use.
So I made a “bootie” for my iron with heavy cotton fabric cut to fit with elastic for easy removal and reuse. I then individually ironed each frond open (wool setting, no steam) and they ended up looking good and open with no damage at all from the heat; they were then nice and flat, so into the press. Working in layers, I placed a piece of wool over the wood, then wool, then palm, then wool, then palm and so on till they were all nicely in the press. Then the top board went on weighted with a cement block.
One week later, the palm is flat and dry; ready to mount in a frame as a pressed botanical specimen or as a background for an exotic pressed flower art piece. This is what the palm looked like fresh out of the press. A nice vibrant green… this has not been color enhanced.